Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Teachable Moments

When things go wrong in your life, do you try to hide them, brave them on your own, or make excuses for them? OR, do you see them as one more piece of your human journey that can be used to learn, gain support and to teach your children?

Whether it's an incident of teen drinking, a car crash on the news, or a challenging situation at work, I like to take a few moments to discuss it with my kids. I tell them the story, explain what I think about it, and then give them some ideas about proper responses to those situations.

I know they will still make mistakes, but I hope that some of the things I say will stick with them when they are faced with a choice. I'm grateful that we have choices in this country, but sometimes it makes parenting very challenging!! Every chance I get, I hope to provide some context and wisdom, from how to wash a load of clothes to how to handle sexual advances.

As children get older, we can't protect them from every heartbreak or wrong turn. But at least by talking regularly, we leave our door open to offer help when they ask. Boy oh boy, I hope they ask!!

By the way, if you want several ideas to a dilemma you are facing, I recommend a new book hot off the press. I was one of 35 contributors, and I must say it's a handy go-to resource when you're challenged with young children. Check it out! And blessings on your family!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Addiction to drugs or alcohol has ruined the lives of countless people and their families worldwide. Luckily, there are many wonderful drug and alcohol rehabilitation facilities which offer the necessary tools to beat addiction. If you, or a loved one, are looking for a way out of addiction, do you know what to look for in a rehab center?anger management course

Unknown said...

I know there were several times watching my younger brother grow up that my parents would try to hide from me and the rest of the family what exactly he was being punished for. And in a lot of these case I saw the behavior repeating over and over, sometimes for years. I wish they could have been open and allowed him to learn from his mistakes instead of instantly retaliating and covering it up so no one thought they were bad parents. http://evergreenmanor.org/domestic-violence-perpetrator-treatment/

Unknown said...


If you want to know if you or a loved-one is indeed an alcoholic or drug addict -
it's important that you know what the drug addiction signs and alcoholism symptoms are.
Now I could give you a whole list of bulleted signs here,[www.aacsatlanta.com] please visit
anger management courses

Unknown said...


In all drug and alcohol rehabilitations, health practitioners, licensed physicians and doctors work together to provide the best possible treatment program for every individual addict.
This article will explain the benefits of choosing addiction treatment programs. [www.aacsatlanta.com] please visit,anger management course

ross18miller said...

Amazing blog posted.

How to deal with anger issues